Monday, October 22, 2018

Teechip Online Tee Shirt Business - First Campaign

So for my very first campaign, I decided to design a shirt for people in the beekeeping industry.  I found the market to be large enough so I chose some clipart from my Serif Drawplus software and got to work on a cool tee shirt design.

I came up with a design that I thought would sell and ran with it.  I immediately made my first mistake by advertising it wrong on Facebook.  I chose "Promote Offer" and what this does is advertise your offer to more people by advertising your Facebook page.

When you do this, your customers have to click twice to get to your sale item and you lose them along the way.  It can be a costly mistake and let me show you how much it cost me.


You can see that my ad reached 568 people but only three people clicked on it.  Not a very good response rate and my cost per click was roughly $3.00.  That would not have been too bad if all of the clicks resulted in sales but they didn't.  In fact, I didn't get a single sale so now I am down $9.00 in advertising on the first day.  I have some catching up to do.

I changed my ad and changed my promotion method to get more "Website Visitors" since I am selling the shirts on Teechip's website with my own domain page.  On day two I was happy with my ad results.  Here they are:


You can immediately see that the second way of promoting a tee shirt is far better.  Website Promotion resulted in 16 clicks for only $5.00 spent.  When I saw this, I was excited.  How many sales did I have?  Surely, I must have some.  Well, disappointment again.  Out of the 16 clicks and $5.00 spent, I sold zippo.  I came to the conclusion that the reason I did not sell any shirts was that:

1.  My design was no good and people were clicking to see what other shirts I had.
2.  My shirts were overpriced.
3.  The customer was afraid to purchase the shirt because they never heard of Teechip.
4.  It was just people clicking on ads inadvertently.

Whatever the reason, now I am down my $50 set-up fee plus $14.30 Facebook advertising for a total of $64.30 down.  It is apparent that maybe this is going to cost quite a bit before I find a design that will sell.  Maybe I will go broke first.  Advertising is not cheap.

Anyway, I figured that with 19 people clicking through and seeing my shirt and no sales, that I had a loser that would cost me greater losses in the long run.  But, I wanted to make sure.  I changed my ad and I changed my ad targeting to a more narrow focused group.  This is what happened the next day.

I went with just people interested in beekeeping.  That was all.  
On the second day of my first campaign, I drove 12 views to my Teechip website and my sales again were zippo.  So, in summation, 29 people came to see my shirt and nobody bought it.  To me, that was the signal to quit marketing it.  I spent another $3.56 in Facebook advertising so now I am down $67.86.  At this rate I will be broke quickly so I better pick a design that sells.

Since I like dogs, I thought of a nice design I could make to sell to dog owners.

In my next post I will cover my second campaign which was a tee shirt designed for dachshund owners.  I am still not disappointed with Teechip.  It is not their fault that my design does not sell.  I really like the way they are set-up and they make it easy for tee shirt sellers.  I just hope that I can take advantage of it and start a profitable business within a short period of time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Online Marketing
Add blog to our directory.